this recipe is super simple but i think the dish really packs a punch! i love the combination of flavors and textures.
recipe adapted from and photo via kitchen sanctuary
1. slice one red bell pepper, one yellow bell pepper, and one brown onion into strips. chop up a bunch of cilantro and zest one lime.
2. cook 1 cup of rice in 2 cups of water (bring to a boil and then simmer for 20ish minutes).
3. heat up a glob of olive oil in a skillet.
4. place 2 chicken breasts in a bowl. sprinkle 1.5 tbs cajun seasoning and 1 tbs oil on top, then use your hands to massage the spices into the meat. flatten the chicken breasts a bit with your hands.
5. cook the chicken in the hot skillet for 5-7 minutes on each side, until it is charred and cooked through. remove from the skillet.
6. add another glob of oil to the skillet and then add the peppers and onion strips. cook for 5-7 minutes, until slightly charred.
7. fluff the cooked rice with a fork, and then stir through the cilantro and lime zest. you may want to squeeze a little juice from the lime in as well (I like things tasting especially lime-y!).
8. cut one avocado into slices or chunks. slice the cooked chicken into strips.
9. arrange the rice, chicken, peppers, and avocado into bowls, and enjoy!